In 2018-19 alone, the HMRC collected almost £34.1 billion through compliance activity. They are under pressure to raise money for the government from increased tax receipts, so we can expect more tax and VAT investigations in the coming years.
How is HMRC collecting more money? HMRC’s Connect System is an £80m investment programme and now contains over 22 billion lines of data. HMRC claims that any information received by them concerning any individual tax payer can now be linked to the taxpayer’s file in minutes.
Where we come in
No-one can prevent an investigation, so when the HMRC notifies you that you are under investigation, you will have to comply and provide the information they require. Understandably this can be a very time consuming and stressful event in a business owner’s life and one that has to be carefully managed, and can carry high professional fees.
With our tax investigations subscribed service:
- We can remove your concerns about the cost of an enquiry
- You are assured that you will receive the best defence, so that your tax position is protected
- You will enable and authorise us to challenge any HMRC assertions and assumptions
- We will be ensuring that the basis of any enquiry is corrected and that your case is handled fairly
- We’ll handle all communications with HMRC, including letters, phone calls or notices issued
- We ensure that the tax inspector is only asking for relevant information and documents, and provide all supporting information from our files that relates to your accounts
- We prepare for and attend any face-to-face meetings you have with the tax inspector
- We will argue any complex or technical tax cases that are raised during the enquiry
So whether it’s a PAYE or VAT visit, a technical enquiry or full blown books and records enquiry, our tax investigations service is designed to support you and provide you with the best result.
If you would like an information pack about our Tax Investigation Service, please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org, or call us on 01788 577613 (Rugby Office) or 01908 564701 (Stony Stratford Office).